What is a Solar Off Grid Inverter?
- Posted by: Energiaa
Clearing one important point at the start of the article, Off Grid solar systems and solar Off Grid inverters and have some basic differences and it is important to know what .
There is a difference between off grid systems and off grid inverters. There are a lot of articles related to going OFF-THE-GRID but it will be very hard to find without the correct keywords, for a proper Off grid inverter.
The terminology of Off Grid inverter has evolved in a way that it has become a major confusion for the consumer.
The short slideshare given below will explain the basic working of an Off Grid Inverter.
Clearing a major point early on… YES the off grid inverter is connected to the Grid as well and YES it works without the GRID as well.
The main problem for consumers of developing nations like India in the solar field is that we still have to go a long way to achieve solar maturity. For example: while people in USA purchase batteries according to days of autonomy, we purchase a capacity according to hours of autonomy. Because the Grid is cheap, but unreliable, we still want to be connected to it while being electrically secure.
Off Grid inverters are the cheaper of the Main 3 kinds of solar inverters available in the market today ( Hybrid, Grid Tie and Off Grid). In the Indian scenario these are connected to the Grid, Battery, Loads and an optional DG Set as well.
The advantages of solar off grid inverters are given as follows:
- The most trusted and long running technology for solar inverters
- Maintains the battery life by using solar to reduce its charging and discharging cycles compared to a non-solar inverter battery system.
- Provides uninterrupted supply to the primary loads of the household
- Can run the loads from the available sources according to the priority of the sources in the algorithm.
- Reduces diesel consumption by not running DG all the time.
- If the battery is already charged and the loads are few, then the excess power produced from the Solar panels is wasted.
- Cannot export to grid
- No power sharing between sources. Different sources supply to different loads at the same time.
- Battery life not as good ( as Hybrid Inverters generally ) and it dies out early.
STATCON ENERGIAA’S OFF GRID INVERTERS
Statcon Energiaa’s Off-Grid series single phase inverters are designed to meet the growing electricity demand in the developing world. Its state-of-the-art design and intelligent control optimizes the yield of all small PV installations (1-10KW) in residential, rural and other remote installations with very poor or no grid availability.
It consists of MPPT based solar charge controller and bi-directional inverter with transformer on the AC side. It provides uninterrupted power at the load output using solar, battery and grid input in customizable order of priority.
Latest DSP based control ensures excellent performance and protection from any kind of malfunction.
The high conversion efficiency helps in longer battery backup. Ease of operation and Plug ‘N’ Use type of design make it the ideal product for all kinds of users.