What is 100% Solar ?
- Posted by: Energiaa
First things first. This article is not a definitive answer to the question “ What is 100% Solar?” , rather it aims to open a discussion among the people of the world to share their opinion.
My mother forwarded me a link which read “1st Airport In World To Go 100% Solar Is In India” . I asked her what she understood by this headline and her response to it was that she felt it must run on solar throughout the day and at the night, maybe by batteries. Her explanation was the same as understood by me when I had first read the headline a time back and many of my peers had the same reaction as well.
And then I pondered over if a project can really be called 100% Solar if it does not use Storage?
The other school of thought states that if you consume 100 units and export 100 units to the grid then Net consumed = 0 , Hence 100% Solar.
To this several points can be raised:
- Is the pollution caused by 100 units of solar = pollution caused by 100 units of the Grid?
- If the DISCOMS lower the rates of the purchased units by a little amount, will it still be 100% solar ( as now they would be paying to the DISCOMS)
- On exception days when the sun may not shine the brightest and more will be drawn from the Grid , will that day be 100% solar as well
- Basically is it 100% solar throughout the year?
According to me (and this is my personal opinion), the following systems should be bestowed with the title of 100% solar (If sized properly):
- Storage based Solutions which use either a combination of OFF-GRID inverter + Batteries
- Batteries+ Hybrid Inverter( which may export to the grid as well)
- Batteries+ Hybrid Inverter+ Grid Tie Inverter
- Grid Tie inverters + a load which is active only during the Sunshine hours
Anyways Green is Green and the Kochi airport is a wonderful example of the various applications of Solar throughout the world, and should be emulated worldwide. But coming back to the first line, the aim of the article is more to get the view of other people throughout the world to get a general consensus of the idea regarding 100% Solar.
Statcon Energiaa manufactures Hybrid Solar Inverters, Grid Tie Inverters as well as Off grid inverters so it is with no partiality that I have written this article. Please do mail us your views at email@example.com or leave your comments in the comment section below.
Cheers and greeting from Statcon Energiaa!